Guide for Migrant Workers: Living and Working in Prince Edward Island


Here are some of the organizations and resources that may be useful for migrant workers (this is not a complete list):


Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Department within the federal government that oversees immigration and temporary residency rules and applications.

Toll-free: 1-888-242-2100

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)

The federal government department that oversees Canadian labour market matters and processes Labour Market Impact Assessment applications. This department also manages the Employment Insurance (EI) system.

Toll-free: 1-800-622-6232

Service Canada Confidential Tip Line

This tip line can be used to anonymously report abuse of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Phone line: callers can leave a confidential voicemail to report abuse of TFWP. Online tool: use website to make confidential report. For both reporting methods, include information such as: location and name of the business or individual(s), including their contact information, if known, and any details of the abuse. The Tip Line does not provide support to victims of abuse.

Toll-free: 1-866-602-9448
Online Fraud Reporting Tool

PEI Government

Employment Standards Branch of Prince Edward Island

This is a branch of the PEI Government that manages the Laws that employers must follow. To get information about the Employment Standards Act you can call them or visit their website. You can contact them to ask questions about PEI’s laws concerning work conditions and your pay. You can also arrange for a representative to meet with you at one of the government offices around PEI. Their services are confidential, so no one will know that you talked to them. If your employer is breaking the rules of this Act, you can decide to file a formal complaint. If a hearing is held, they can arrange for a translator to be present.

Information posters in various languages

Toll-free: 1-800-333-4362

Workers Compensation Board

You can call the Workers Compensation Board if are injured at work, you have questions about the Occupational Health and Safety Act, or if you are concerned about danger in your work place.

Toll-free: 1-800-237-5049

Access PEI

The provincial government agency that administers services such as health cards and driver’s licenses, benefits, and more.

Phone: 902-368-5200

Health PEI

Health PEI is responsible for public health services on PEI. Their website has information about health services. If you want to visit a doctor, you can find the closest walk-in clinics and hospitals. You must have a valid health card to see a doctor for free.

Toll-free: 1-800-321-5492

Community Legal Information

Community Legal Information

Community Legal Information is an organization that will provide you with confidential information about the law, across many subjects (i.e., women’s rights, employment law, housing, abuse, etc.), and refer to you other services. They will provide help regardless of your status in Canada. If you do not speak English or French they may use internet translation services to communicate, if there are no staff who can help. You can email, phone, or visit their office in Charlottetown. They can also refer you to other services.

Toll-free: 1-800-240-9798

Prince Edward Island Human Rights Commission


211 is an information and referral service available to support permanent and temporary residents. It can help you get connected to social, community, government and non-emergency/non-clinical health supports. It is a free and confidential service is available in more than 100 languages, 24 hours each day of the year, by phone, text, email and by using the on-line directory.

Please dial 2-1-1 or email for assistance finding resources.

Prince Edward Island Human Rights Commission

PEI Human Rights Commission

The PEI Human Rights Commission is an organization that accepts complaints about unfair treatment. You may issue a complaint with this organization and begin a legal process. Their website provides information about your rights in Canada, and how to file a complaint. They also have information booklets on your rights as a worker.

Phone: 902-368-4180
Toll-free: 1-800-237-5031

Career Development Services, Inc.

Career Development Services

This organization offers free, confidential job search services through employment resource centres across PEI. Job seekers can use the computers at the centre for job search, and the staff will help you develop a resume and cover letter. Also, the staff can work with you in person and by email. The staff are not trained to help with work permits.

CDS Locations

Cooper Institute

Cooper Institute

This organization is a non-governmental organization. They work for social justice locally and globally. This includes the rights of Temporary Foreign Workers (TFWs) in PEI. If you contact Cooper Institute, your identity will be kept confidential. You can call if you have a problem, or if you know someone in PEI who is in a difficult situation. If your job or the place you live is abusive or unsafe, the Cooper Institute might be able to issue a complaint to the government, and your name will not be used. There is a staff who speaks Spanish, and volunteers who speak other languages. They also help Canadians learn more about supporting Temporary Foreign Workers, and build community connections. Even if you do not have a problem, Cooper Institute would be happy to hear from you. The office of Cooper Institute is open Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm. If you call on the weekend or in the evening, leave a message and let them know how and when to contact you.

81 Prince Street, Charlottetown PE


PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada (PEIANC)

This is PEI's newcomer settlement agency. Their settlement specialists help temporary foreign workers when they have questions about their status, their options, and their rights. They can help you if you have questions about qualifying or applying for status or programs. PEIANC also has a volunteer language teacher program, which might be able to help you learn English or prepare for a language test. They also hold social events and festivals. Everything is confidential. If your children are with you in Canada, they can help your children with school registration and other free programs.

49 Water Street, Charlottetown PE

Community Navigators

Community Navigators are there to work with all new residents to the rural regions of Western, Central, and Eastern PEI. They welcome you and answer any questions or comments you may have as you transition into your new life of living and working here in rural PEI. You may be moving here from another country (temporarily or permanently), or even from another province within Canada, either way, we are here to help you!


Temporary Foreign Workers Program (TFWP)


Cooper Institute thanks the individuals and groups that provided information for this document. This Guide was made possible through the generous support of the Law Foundation of Prince Edward Island, the Government of Canada's Emergency Support Fund, Atlantic Region Association of Immigrant Serving Agencies (ARAISA), Employment and Social Development Canada, and Community Foundations of Canada.

Special credit is due to the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI) whose comprehensive migrant worker guides have served as inspiration for this one.

This is an updated version of our 2016 Guide for Migrant Workers and covers some of the key issues that affect migrant workers in PEI as of May 2024.