Cooper Institute is an education and community development centre in the province of Prince Edward Island, Canada. The main program areas of our organization are livable income for all, food sovereignty, democracy, diversity and inclusion, protection of land and water, and improving lives of migrant workers in the province. Within these programs, we conduct research and popular education projects on provincial, national, and international level.
Learn more about what we do from our latest Activities Report.
Impacts of COVID-19 on Migrant Workers in Prince Edward Island
Guides for Migrant Workers - Living and Working in PEI
Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
Seasonal Agricultural Workers Program (SAWP)
|Guide for Migrant Workers||Guide for Seasonal Agricultural Workers|
|Guía para Trabajadores Migrantes||Guía para Trabajadores Agrícolas Estacionales|
Would you like to contribute to making a positive change?
At Cooper Institute any donation is very much appreciated. Donated funds will be used to make Prince Edward Island a better place for everyone. Donate Now
News and Events
- Land Use and the Power of the PeopleCoalition for the Protection of PEI Land Public Forum
- May 19 2023
- The fourth forum in the “Whose Land is it Anyway?” series, will be held on Saturday, May 27 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Murray Christian Education Centre, 17 School St. in Kensington.
- Breaking the Silence EventJesús Tecú Osorio to Speak in Charlottetown on May 24
- May 19 2023
- Cooper Institute and the Maritimes-Guatemala Breaking the Silence Network will host Jesús Tecú Osorio for their annual speaking tour. The event will be held at the Charlottetown Library Learning Centre at 6:30 PM on Wednesday, May 24.
- Employment OpportunityProject Coordinator with Cooper Institute and the PEI Fight for Affordable Housing
- Apr 05 2023
- We are looking for a coordinator for a new project involving outreach to tenants, some research, organizing and facilitating group discussions, and writing. The project has two main outcomes: a user-friendly guide to preparing for rental hearings and
- Unfree Labour COVID-19 and Migrant Workers in the Seafood Industry in New Brunswick
- Mar 01 2023
- New research reveals precarious occupational and living conditions for seafood processing migrant workers in New Brunswick.
- The Year That WasCooper Institute 2022 Activities Report Published
- Feb 09 2023
- The annual activities report typically provides a glimpse into Cooper Institute's programs, including migrant justice, basic income and lands protection.
- New Report on International Students and Affordable Housing in PEINew report highlights challenges for students
- Jan 27 2023
- Kelly Rivera, Masters of Arts student with the Institute of Island Studies, publishes report based on interviews with international students in 2022.