Cooper Institute is an education and community development centre in the province of Prince Edward Island, Canada. The main program areas of our organization are livable income for all, food sovereignty, democracy, diversity and inclusion, protection of land and water, and improving lives of migrant workers in the province. Within these programs, we conduct research and popular education projects on provincial, national, and international level.
Learn more about what we do here:
Migrant Worker Guides
Would you like to contribute to making a positive change?
At Cooper Institute any donation is very much appreciated. Donated funds will be used to make Prince Edward Island a better place for everyone. Donate Now
News and Events
- International Development Week 2019February 4-9
- Jan 18 2019
- Events will offer opportunities for groups to network and discuss their work on international issues, to discuss PEI's climate change action plan, the impact of poverty on children's health and possible solutions, and much more.
- Children's Health: What has income got to do with it?Tuesday, February 5th at Murphy's Community Centre
- Jan 15 2019
- Join us on February 5th to discuss the current health and well-being of children on PEI, its relationship with income, and to explore potential options about where we should go from here to improve their quality of life.
- Electoral Referendum Choices: What Do Seniors Want to Know?Saturday, January 26, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm at Murphy's Community Centre, Charlottetown
- Jan 15 2019
- This event is a chance to discuss the two choices in the referendum which will take place at the time of the provincial election. The choices are: change to a new system, Mixed Member Proportional Representation; or stay with the current system.
- Planning to Keep PovertyOpinion Piece by Marie Burge
- Dec 05 2018
- While some of the actions in PEI's recently released Poverty Reduction Plan will benefit some on the short term, it might easily be seen as a plan to keep poverty as an inevitable part of the structure of Prince Edward Island.
- Irene Burge, Outstanding Volunteer!Irene Burge honoured at Voluntary Resource Council annual celebration
- Nov 26 2018
- One of the founding members of Cooper Institute, Irene Burge was recognized for her long history of volunteerism, as a community organizer, home economist, editor extraordinaire, and lover and sharer of music.
- New! Migrant Worker Guides Guides for Migrant Workers Now Available in Spanish and Mandarin
- Nov 17 2018
- Cooper Institute, with the support of LUSH Charity Pot and the Law Foundation of Prince Edward Island, has updated its information guides for migrant workers, which are now available in three languages.