Make Poverty History
Cooper Institute has been involved in the local Make Poverty History group since its beginning in 2005. Make Poverty History is an international movement to engage citizens and put pressure on governments to act in four key areas: More and Better Aid, Trade Justice, Cancelling the Debt, and Ending Child Poverty in Canada.
Other members of the group in PEI are:
- PEI Advisory Council on the Status of Women
- PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada
- Canadian Crossroads International
- Latin American Mission Program
- OXFAM, PEI
- PEI Federation of Labour
- PEI People First
- Women's Network PEI
- PEI Working Group for a Livable Income
- World University Services Canada (PEI)
- and others...
Over the past three years various activities have been organized, including a press conference; several demonstrations at Province House; a public meeting with candidates in the last federal election; events to mark October 17, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty - in 2005, a Poverty Walking Tour and Stand Up events in 2006, 2007 and 2008.